What is NACLO?
NACLO is a contest in which high-school students solve linguistic
problems. In solving these problems, students learn about the
diversity and consistency of language, while exercising logic skills.
No prior knowledge of linguistics or second languages is necessary.
Professionals in linguistics, computational linguistics and language
technologies use dozens of languages to create engaging problems that
represent cutting edge issues in their fields. The competition has
attracted top students to study and work in those same fields. It is
truly an opportunity for young people to experience a taste of
natural-language processing in the 21st century.
- April 28, 2022The problem booklets from 2022 have been released. The solutions will be posted shortly.
- April 20, 2022Grading for the 2022 Invitational Round has concluded. The results
and team assignments can be accessed here. The Open Round and
Invitational Round problems and solutions will be posted shortly. Thank you for participating!
- March 7, 2022Grading for the 2022 Open Round has concluded and your score is available in your student account. The list of students
who have qualified for the Invitational Round has been released. You can access it here. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if your score
- March 7, 2022The results from the Open Round will be posted to the student accounts later today, March 7.
- March 5, 2022The jury is finalizing the Open Round grading and results will be
announced in the next few days. In the meantime, here is the list of submitted booklets. If you don't see your
ID/registration number in this list, please contact email@example.com as soon as possible.
- February 9, 2022The 2022 Open Contest is over. Registration for the 2023 Open Contest will start in late
- September 26, 2021Registration for the 2022 Open Contest has started.
- September 19, 2021The handbook for 2022 is now available.
- August 16, 2021NACLO 2022 will be on January 27 and March 17, 2022
You can help support NACLO either by mailing a check or giving online. For more information on both, please see our donations page. We thank you for your support!
We're looking for new sites and problem contributors. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for the next competition
Challenge yourself online with practice problems
All you need to know about NACLO in one place
Suggested reading, links, etc.